Thursday, February 08, 2007

Just One of those Days


Yesterday was just one of those days. You know the ones you wish you could blink and it will all be over (in fact that it never happened). Well, that would be my day.
Yesterday, my teaching license is on the line. Now, teachers must be observed within their first three years of teaching in order to receive full license capability. Well, I am doing mine during my first year. I wanted to get it over with and not even have to think about it. In fact, most wait until April or May. No not me, I did mine as soon as possible. Let's just say, I hope the state really needs teachers.
I chose to do a lesson on writing. Thinking this lesson would be easy because the students are already use to the routine. They have only been doing it since beginning January. Let's just say the kids acted like they had no idea what they were to do. Below are just a few of the mishaps that I had to deal with.
  • The regular aide was out, so there was a sub. She kept my student that was being tutoring too long. (I had to wait on him to start his group). I am ok with timing because crap happens and you have to deal with it.
  • Next, the aide brings my mail in. Of all times, during the lesson that I am having the state department observe. She just stood there and did not say a word. It felt like 10 minutes. I know it was probably like 5 seconds, but it sure did seem like forever. Finally, I stopped my lesson to take the mail from her. I believe she would have stood there until I acknowledged her.
  • I had one student who when they do not want to do something will pick his scabs and try to get up to get a band-aid. Forgetting the observer was there, I told him he would just have to bleed and he was not going to get up. He better write a story and not say another word.
  • The students could not sit still to work in their small groups. They wanted to roll around on the carpet.
  • The students wanted to run from their seat to the carpet where I was. (A BIG NO-NO)

This is only a few of the things that happened. I couldn't believe it. For a day for everything to go wrong, it was yesterday

To finish my day out, I had two students to throw up and have to go home. One urinated on herself. One did the other on himself. All I can say is WHAT A DAY! I should have called in.

On a much brighter note, I redid the lesson today. It went smoother than any other lesson. This just put icing on my cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exactly why I couldn't teach. My solution to all those problems is duct tape. If they run, duct tape them to the wall. If they can't sit down, duct tape them to the chair. If they talk, duct tape over the mouth. If they have accidents, encase them in duct tape so not to let the offensive material contact anyone or anything. I somehow don't think that administration would like that.

Lou Arnold said...

I actually use the duct tape scenario for one of them today. I told him if he couldn't be still I was going to duct tape him to his chair then super glue him to the floor.

BUt of course, this would never happen. Don't call the state department and get me fired.

K.T. is Mommatude said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!