Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Calling in Life


Every wonder what God has in store for you. You think it is one thing, but then it is something totally different. If we would just stop and listen maybe we wouldn't go down the wrong path.

I have discovered that my life calling is teaching. I never wanted this and was not going to end up doing that. My Mom and Dad were both teachers. There was no way I was going to follow in there footsteps. Stubborn teenager, I guess. Mom wanted me to get education hours but I refused. I was not going to need them.




In eighth grade, I knew exactly what I was going to be. A NEWS BROADCASTER. I wanted to be the next Barbara Walters or Montel Williams. This career choice stayed my choice even after high school. I went to the best communication college in Arkansas (Arkansas State University). I won the Ted Rand scholarship, which is a radio broadcasting scholarship based on a tape demo of you telling the news. I had my life all planned out.


Something was missing. I didn't know what. I was not happy in my field of choice. It was all wrong for me. I finally realized that I was not able to help people. Needless to say, I changed my major and went to social work. Remember, I was not going to be a teacher. NO WAY HOSEA. Yes, you are right, I was not happy. I did not know what was missing.



On March 24, 1998 I made my choice. I witness the most horrible event. Jonesboro had experienced a school shooting. Driving home from my baby sitting job, I had to pull over on the side of the road. Ambulance, police cars, fire trucks were racing down the highway. I knew something major had happened. Never dreamed it was a school shooting. Two boys opened fire on students exiting the building because of a pulled fire alarm. This horrible event took the lives of four innocent children and a brave devoted teacher.

Shannon Wright is my hero, although she does not know it. She stepped in front of a flying bullet to keep a child out of harm's reach. Without thinking she risked death to save a precious soul. How amazing this woman is. She had a 2 year old child and a husband at home. She put all of that on the line for that one child. Shannon Wright lived until she made it to the hospital. She could not fight it any longer. She died in surgery with gun shot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

About a week later, I went to the school. You could still see the empty building with no children and the police lines. Writing on the outside wall of the gym said, "bullet went in here and went through the floor." To me Shannon Wright's presence was there. You could just picture were she stood to protect that child. I believe that we need more teachers like that.

You are probably saying, "You stupid idiot, run the other direction." For some reason, I couldn't. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't. It was like I had a concrete block tied to my foot. There was no moving. I changed my major the very next day.


I finally moved back to Eudora to take care of my mother who was dying of cancer. She helped me enroll at UAM. Four years later, I graduated with a bachelor's of art in early childhood/special education. I just hope that one day, I could live up to the status of Shannon Wright. I want to be the protector of my students like she was. It does not have to be that drastic (at least I hope not). I just want to make a difference in the lives of my students.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've found your calling. Do you think you could find mine? Right now I think being perpetually 12 would be pretty cool. :-D

K.T. is Mommatude said...

How do you know when you have found yours?I dont know if I will ever know that..........

Sugar-n-Spice said...

i loved getting to know you even better, lou! thanks for sharing your story, and your calling....and a great calling it is, too.

McDreamy said...

i loved this too - i agree with brandy i loved getting to know you better.

hey lou's fav hubby - my hubby's still searching too. hang in there.

k.t. - i hear your passion when you talk about kendall. there's something there - run with it.

Rosie said...

Lou! I loved reading this. It's so good to get to know you better, even if it is through your blog and not face-to-face. Tell Michael Phillip misses him and all the wonderful time they shared discussing apple computers and life in general. :)

Anonymous said...

wow! thanks for sharing. you are a wonderful teacher and it's obvious it is your calling. keep it up!

Shelley said...

I think it's great you know your place! Now if society would start to pay teachers at the same rate of dr's, things would be more fair, wouldn't they!

I think teaching is one of the hardest professions in the world, and that it is such an admirable position.

Best of luck to you!

And yeah, KT should be an advocate for special needs children, one way or another. THAT is her calling!