Sunday, August 06, 2006

Let Your Yes be Yes


This weeks sermon was based on James 5:12. You would think that one little verse couldn't contain so much information. Actually this verse is very packed with advice on life.


Above all, my brothers, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned. James 5:12


So often we tell people we are going to do something. We in turn usually find something that we would like to do better. One may not realize that they are actually doing this. I never really thought much of it until the sermon. How many times have I told someone that I would help them and then turn my back on them because I didn't feel like it. Sadly, this as happened more times than I want to recall. The other sad thing is that I have done it to loved ones that I care deeply about.

God wants us to make a commitment. When we say yes, we must mean it. Don't just say yes, and hope that something else will come up so you can't do it. It is time to stop making excuses for yourself. If you commit you better finish it. God doesn't like broken promises. This week and the rest of my life, I am going to strive to reach this goal. I want all my yeses to be yeses. I would like to challenge you to do the same thing. I am really going to make this promise to my husband. So often he gets the bunt of my yeses not really meaning yes.

8 comments:

Angelina said...

Sad to have missed the sermon this morning. I am having an all day study day as the Boards are looming ever so much closer! I will be so relieved at the end of this week- I think!

Mandy said...

Great post! I am so much better now at NOT agreeing to things I know I really don't want to do. Or at least thinking on it for a little while before saying I will or won't do whatever it is. I know that it REALLY bothers me when ppl go back on their word, no matter how 'small' of a word it was so I strive not to be that person.. though I am SURE I've done this more times than I'd like to admit!

K.T. is Mommatude said...

Yeah,but I tend to find if you say no they think you are rude,mean and callous.I know this because I take full practice of saying no.Lou,I love how you talk about the sermons-a different perspective,or knowing what someone else took from a sermon is soooooo interesting.Also since we have not come to Journey yet I can read your blog and listen to the podcast so I will still receive the sermon....Love it!

Mark W. said...

Thanks for the sermon notes, especially since I couldn't be there yesterday. I cannot tell you how prevalent this is. For sure, I'm not innocent of it, but during the school year, on a daily basis, I experience young people who will say to my face that they will do this or that - schedule an office meeting or something - NOT do it, then come back later with tons of lame excuses that only reveal their lack of care.

I've come to see this as a huge issue with young people, and so I try and try not to ever be like that. I suppose this is the experience of every prof - "I hate excuses" - and James 5:12 explains exactly why profs are so crotchety about this. We get lied to A LOT.

Sorry for the long comment. Your post just got me thinking about how relevant that verse really is.

Diana Harton said...

I am glad you are in my life....I love to read your blog....always lifts me up.

Jenny Sipes said...

I LOVE YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON THE SERMON FROM SUNDAY. THAT IS GREAT. ITS AWESOME HOW YOU POST THEM ON YOUR BLOG. I LOVE IT!!

Jenny Sipes said...

I LOVE YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON THE SERMON FROM SUNDAY. THAT IS GREAT. ITS AWESOME HOW YOU POST THEM ON YOUR BLOG. I LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the sermon notes!! I hate that I missed it Sunday but I am so glad I have your blog to read!! you are great!!!