Sunday, August 27, 2006

Watch Out!!

Watch Out! It is family time. We started our family time last night. It was great fun. We read Ashton a book and then ended with a prayer. He loved it. Can't wait to do it tonight.

This weekend has proven to be the best investment I have made. Our family went to the Marriage/Parenting Retreat.

Our first seminar was our personality. Kind of disappointing. I think we should have never been married. Just kidding. My personality is choleric. I am a natural born leader and am always right. I can't stand for someone to take their time. I want to get it done and get it done now. I can also be very bossy. Michael is sanquine. He is nothing like me. He wants to play all the time and get lots of attention. He needs constant affection and feel appreciated. Having two totally different personalities, we are going to have to work hard. It does explain a lot of our conflicts. The seminar gave us several tips. We are working on those now.

The second seminar we went to was Keeping the Romance Alive. It was really good. Being married four years and having a kid, sometimes it feels like the spark has left. We were given several pointers and ideas. One was to take a date without kids. We are working on this one now.

The third seminar was Raising your Children to Be Disciples. This was good. I must raise Ashton to be a disciple, so he can grow up and become a great Christian that share the word. The speaker shared many statistics with us. I wish I could remember the numbers. It was just amazing how you can raise your children to be disciples and they raise their children to be disciples. After about 30 years billions of people have come to know Christ. It is truly amazing.

Our final workshop was on disciplining your children. I never really thought that I should discipline my child according to the Bible. Sounds odd, but we must put our disciplining in the perspective of the Bible. My problem is my discipline a lot of times comes out of anger. Michael and I both are working on the controlling anger and explaining to Ashton why he is receiving a spanking. It is worth a shot, so we are going to do it.

Enough with this weekend. Here is an update on the baby. I am 8 weeks along. I have not thrown up anymore. YES!!!! I have discovered that orange juice and pregnancy don't get along with me. Now, don't tell me that I need that folic acid. I don't want to hear it. If I drink orange juice, I throw up. When I throw up, I have lost the folic acid. So I am just better off skipping the whole throwing up stage. Hopefully, I will find a doctor and go soon. My insurance will kick in on October 1. So I am excited about that.

Well, enough rambling for now.

3 comments:

K.T. is Mommatude said...

Sounds like a great time!We couldnt make it because my husband,as usual,had to work.I dont remember what I was ,but I believe I was a choleric also.(I have the book).My husband and I are definite opposites,but I think that is what makes us work.I talk alot-he doesnt,I have the constant need to be right,he doesnt.Opposites attract?BTW you can get folic acid in other foods and prenatal vitamins.

Sugar-n-Spice said...

lou, lou, . . .skip to my lou :) great post! tj and i loved the retreat, too. we were doing fine (i'm not saying we have always done fine) but even with that said we came home with lots of new ideas for our marraige and are putting some of them into play. we especially learned a lot in some of the parenting classes and are now being very mindful and purposeful about our children's god-ordained mission in life. . .they each have one. . .just like ashton and this precious new baby! tj and i had lost sight of that! i'm so thankful for the re-focus!

Brandi said...

Ronny is definitely a choleric(He says he's not..so choleric)! I am a phlegmatic. Whoever came up with that name is a goob...I sound like I have a case of phlem...yuck! I too think that being opposite helps you even out one another. I keep Ronny in check (kind of) and he forces me to be more outgoing (if I don't, no one will no that I exist).

Glad to know that you are feeling better!