Thursday, July 05, 2007

I am fixing to take a leap of faith here. I have wanted for some time to start a support group for parents of special needs children. Parents with these children need to have someone with the same experiences to talk to. It was not until Rosjuane's blog about the kind of treatment she receives when she takes her son out in public, that I realize there is a need and that need is now. It is devastating to know that this happens. I am pretty sure that she is not the only one that receives this treatment. I have with my autistic sister and I get the same looks, smirks, and hear the whispering.

Anyways, all is invited to come next Saturday. I may be the only one there but that is OK. I really hope to see this group start off. I want to use the group for parents to support each other and give your ups and downs as you tackle the difficult task of taking care of a special needs child. I also want to see in the future to reach out to the community and educate them on these children. We are in the times now that parents don't stay in their homes and hide because they have a child that is different.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

that is great that you are doing this!!
I will be out of town that weekend for our anniversary, so I won't get to make it, but I would love to come to some with Rosjuane. That instance she is talking about, I really don't think the lady realized how rude she came across, but none the less, WHO SAYS THAT? He gets stares all the time, it is so irritating. He just gives them a big ol' smile back though!