Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Fearless Child

What makes a child fearless? What makes them so trusting of people?

Thinking back to the events at family camp, what makes Ashton do the things he does? Why does he let someone lift him up a tall pole and then put him on the zip line for him to go plunging through the woods? Why does he jump into a swimming pool that is over his head? Why would he follow the older boys through the woods on his bike?

What happened to me as an adult? I would be scared to death to do those things. Never would I climb a pole and drop to the ground. Never would I jump off into water over my head without my life jacket. (If you notice I always stay in the shallow end.) Never would I follow someone into the woods on a bike trail. Does life experiences change this? If we are suppose to have trials in our life, why do they cause us to fear the world and everyone in it? Maybe it is because once we start to believe, we can look back on those experiences and see what could have happened if we only would have trusted God.

Starting July 20th, I am going to make a leap of faith. Am I scared, YES! I have to do it in order to be obedient to my God. He has been putting this on my shoulders for years. I am tired of holding all that heavy baggage. We are going to tithe the whole 10%. This is very scary for me and I have been struggling with this for years. I have been scared to do it. How will I pay for everything that I have? RENT, DAYCARE, CAR PAYMENT, UTILITIES, FOOD! How will they get paid? It is hard to support a family on 4 on a teacher's salary. I just never saw how I could do it. I still don't. You hear of people saying don't worry about it, God will take care of it. I just couldn't take the chance. I know not taking a chance on God is pretty stupid. Well, we are going to try it. Just pray for me because this is a big step that I have to make. It is time for me to be as fearless as Ashton.

6 comments:

Sugar-n-Spice said...

that's the best thing about following god. you can't see how it will work. you can't do it on your own. but you don't have to....god's strength and provision will pull you through. and while it might not be the most fun thing you've ever done, and while you may struggle, god will reveal himself to you like never before. i love watching you take such a leap of faith. thanks for sharing that with us!

K.T. is Mommatude said...

I have struggled with this myself and my husband is still struggling with it......

Shelley said...

Michael has always been a big believer in tithing. It used to scare me to death! But it works, somehow... It always works out, one way or another.
If not, hey, we can go eat at Brandy's if we have to.... She likes kids....

Brittany said...

I completely understand your fear, but God has proven Himself faithful to us time and time again. When we first got married, I was still in school and Shaun was working at a church 3/4 time. (Basically working full time for part time pay.) I think he took home about $1000 a month. And we had a $320 car payment and $450 rent. Plus, we were spending about $200 a month in gas. (I had to drive an hour to school.) Now that pretty much took all of his salary, leaving nothing left for utilities and FOOD! But we always tithed, scary as it was. And we always made it. Yes, it was tight, and no we couldn't do have things like cable and eat out at restaurants, but our needs were always met. Sometimes we would receive a check in the mail for the EXACT amount needed, one time someone left our entire rent payment in Shaun's office at the church. And we grew closer to Him because of it.

I will definitely be praying for you guys in this leap of faith!

Anonymous said...

Lou,
You and Michael are so encouraging to us! Wow. Thanks for letting us share your faith leap.

It's amazing how much our kids can teach us...

Anonymous said...

way to go, Lou!!!! i'm not so good about leaving comments but i am keeping up! the water's fine once you take a jump off into the deep waters of faith...still learning lots but i do know God is trustworthy and the only sure thing!