Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pray for My Friend

I know what you are thinking, two post in one day. This girl needs a life. Actually, after my first post, I read my e-mail. I got an e-mail from one of my friends in Jonesboro. He is very close to my heart and always has been since I met him. Below is a copy of his e-mail with the names taken out. He really needs our prayers in discovering his purpose in life.


Guess there's no need to think about how to get ___________ attention, Lou. Looks like I'll be breaking up with her in the next day or two. I've finally come to the realization that I'm simply not a priority to her. It's not that I come third or fourth; it's that I don't think I'm really on the list at all.

"Deep in the winter even holdout leaves start falling."

I don't know what's wrong with me. I've never really known, I guess. I still don't. I don't know if I ever will. For some reason, I just don't work like other people.

And it ain't like God is helping out here. I haven't heard a word from Him since the end of grad school. I really thought that I'd heard from him not too long ago. I asked if I was going to be single all my life (God's single...you know...unmarried). I thought he said no. I really thought so. I just don't know anymore.

I'm going to go to work. I'm going to hang out with my friends and write my book and go to the gym and maybe learn to draw or play the guitar. I'm going to go to school and get my master's degree in library science. I'm not any good for anything more, I guess.

So far it doesn't even hurt. It just...confuses me. I really thought that maybe I could be like other people. I thought she chose me. I thought, I thought. I guess not.

I'm not noble about it, either. I look at ___________ , with his girlfriend down in Texas, and ____________, with his girlfriend a thousand miles away. Both of them are closer to their girlfriends NOW than I EVER was with __________________.

I just don't know what's wrong with me. I don't get it. There's just something I'm missing, some rule or way of life or something that doesn't even have a name. I guess there's something wrong with me, but I don't even have a name for what's broken or what's missing.

Good night, Lou.


He has been struggling with the issue of dating since dating becomes an issue in everyone's life. We all know that we have been down this road at some point in our life. We just want the assurance. Please pray for him. This guy is really a remarkable guy. (He would have to be to be my friend. Just kidding.) He has always been that one guy that I could always talk to about my problems. I just want to cry hearing him talk like this. If you have any pointers that I can give him, please do. I will do anything to help him out.

3 comments:

McDreamy said...

pray.
can you relate? then tell him how you relate. and how you came out of it. tell him with realness that it's not a magical decision, that even if he made a "magical decision " before that it's a learning process. getting his degree was a process. it's much the same. do you have a different look at life than you did before? let him know this. forward to him my 2 posts about my past and the joy that followed. forward anyone else's stories you know of. but don't bombard him. just be constant and encouraging. i've been there. the gray will lift. he will find his way. he just has to know the right questions. and who to ask. tell him to search for truth. not God. but truth. question everything. God tells us He is the way, the truth, and the life. he also tells us if we seek we will find. all he has to have is a thirst for the truth. God's waiting on the road with arms wide, waiting to be found. God is truth. seek it and you will find Him. i'll be praying, usually when people are this miserable and seeking this much, they are not far from finding Him, but he has to not harden his heart, it sounds like he's feeling the Spirit's nudge, now if he'll jump instead of shutting Him out. again, i'll pray.

McDreamy said...

also, have you read A Case For Christ. Incredible, if he's a reader mention it and that the author was an atheist, tell him it's just interesting stuff.

Mandy said...

I definitely have felt that feeling of God not speaking to me.. it is lonely and hard to come out of. It's very difficult to truly cry out to God and him not respond at all to your tears or words. I went through this very hard time for close to TWO YEARS. I cried my eyes out about this very thing at small group recentely.. and I swear.. things improved from then on out. I don't know if God just wants us to REALLY want him or what.. but when I was really truly missing God, he came back to me.. or shall I say he made his presence known again. I can't really relate to his dating problems... I have no advice.. I've been with Clayton since I was 14yrs old! I will definitely pray for him though.